What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is an odorless toxic gas. Generally, this occurs when heating elements such wood burning stoves do not burn off their fuel.
Carbon monoxide is particularly dangerous due to it’s odorless and tasteless state. It can often kill you and make you ill before you even realize something is wrong. This is why it’s critical to use CO detectors that have been approved by a “qualified, independent testing laboratory”. Other protections include performing a monthly test on all carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they are working, and change your batteries at least once a year unless otherwise specified on your particular device.
Other things to avoid include never allowing your car to run in your garage. The enclosed space forces CO to buildup, even if the garage door opens.
If your carbon monoxide alarm goes off and illness is a factor, evacuate immediately!
More information can be found here regarding carbon monoxide safety.
Ready to review your current insurance coverage? Contact us today!
This is information is brought to you by the Kolenda Agency and Farm Bureau Insurance and is intended to provide a brief overview and is not a comprehensive list of safety tips and warnings.